Monday, September 5, 2016

What’s on the Other Side of “Tired”?


             “I’m too tired,” the young woman said.  
              Since she was part of a talented group of younger leaders (and about half my age), the statement stopped me.  I remembered my father’s persistent comment -- “When I was your age, I didn’t know what tired meant” -- but I didn’t say that.
            “When I’m tired,” I replied, “I usually go for a nice 30-mile bike ride.” 
            That drew some quizzical looks from the crowd.  Yet all of us have discovered that, at times, we can go from tried to energized…in a matter of seconds.  That’s because “tired” is often a choice. 
            We think we should be tired, perhaps after a long day.  Then a friend calls and we’re ready to play.  Long distance cyclists know that you can “change your mind” about being tired…and go on for many more miles “on the other side of tired.”
            Franciscan Richard Rohr says “Pain is the rent we pay for being human, some say; but suffering is usually optional.”  We all get tired; sometimes, we choose to shut down long before we need to do so.
            Not a bad concept for Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment